Building and Uploading a Xamarin Forms solution using Grunt
Project setup can sometimes be the most difficult task of a project, technical decisions have to be made, user stories have to be created in your issue management system, documentation has to be written and your continuous integration project has to be setup.
When you're building a mobile app your continuous integration setup can often be complicated, as the bare minimum you'll need:
- Version numbers updated to match the build number of the CI system you're using.
- Nuget packages restored.
- Projects built
- Unit tests run
- Your app uploaded to a distribution system such as <a href="http://hockeyapp.net/features/" target="_blank">Hockey App</a>
- <a href="https://www.npmjs.com/package/grunt-dotnet-assembly-info" target="_blank">grunt-dotnet-assembly-info</a> to update version numbers and keep assembly information consolidated.
- <a href="https://www.npmjs.com/package/grunt-plistbuddy " target="_blank">grunt-plistbuddy</a> to update iOS version numbers within the plist
- <a href="https://www.npmjs.com/package/grunt-xmlpoke " target="_blank">grunt-xmlpoke</a>to update Android version numbers within the android manifest
To get you started I've gist-ed a grunt task to build, test and upload a Xamarin forms app to Hockey App, you can get the gist here:
<a href="https://gist.github.com/robert-waggott/5bb6ff4d52b211c2012a" target=_"blank">https://gist.github.com/robert-waggott/5bb6ff4d52b211c2012a</a>